Friday, October 9, 2009

More Books....

I guess it is no surprise to those that know me, but I love to read. I did not learn to read till I was in Grade three. At that time I was transfered from Public French immersion school to Mennonite private school. I have always liked those books best that really teach me something. Sometimes fiction foots the bill, but usually it is nonfiction. If it doesn't edify and help build good character what good is it? Of course I have thos unwind times were I just want to relax read. However it is here are a list of books that I recommend to those that are interested in learning about others that you would like to reach out to.

Run Baby Run by Nicky Cruz of course is a Christian classic. About a Dominican street tough who knows little about love works himself up in a New York City gang. One day is confronted by a hillbilly preacher and then things start to happen. Its a read at least twice in your life book. The Cross and the Switchblade by the preacher Wilkerson is also a good companion read. Nicky Cruz is still preaching in the big cities across the Americas and Europe.

Across Mountains More Mountains by Tracy Kidder is a fair read about a Harvard doctor who uses his resourses and influence to help improvished Haitian peasants. He is all about helping the little man. He is not a religious man though the book challenges our selfishness at the expense of others.

Black Like Me by Griffin is a book to understand the Black problem in America. A white man dyes his skin black and goes under cover realizing that there is another side to America. I can relate with his book. It will help you see the other side.

These books are just a quick list that needs editing. I feel every book you read you need to be careful what spirit it is feeding and what is the authors agenda. The next person breezes through it and it is done and over. I will let you be the judge. I just liked these books because they opened my eyes to the cry that is out there and how we can reach out.

No comments:

Post a Comment