Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Corn Cob Commitment




This is a picture of a thirteen kernel corn cob from Lastic Canyon. This is a sample of their hillside corn yield. Talk about recession! What does it mean to you and me? I call this picture a rallying call to not forget those that really hunger- physically or spiritually. I even consider myself as that corn cob. Really how fruitful am I to help relieve other's pains or even help to supply other's needs on a volunteer basis? The next question is how selfish am I? How covetous? Do I ever lust after those things that I should not? I think of David and how he as a king lived his life with plenty to enjoy. When Nathan told him the parable of the wealthy man that took the last sheep of the poor man, David was upset and yet he was the guilty one. I have to admit that today I recognize myself as being guilty. My righteousness is as filthy rags- If it were not for the grace of God- there go I. God looks down and says he will supply all our needs if we are obedient. Yet we always desire more or we do not quite have it good enough. How do you think he feels about helping a bunch of winos that have plenty when others are growing corn cobs for food like the one depicted. I stand in need of a corn cob commitment: to not forget the pain and sorrows of others. It is also a commitment that no matter how much I think I hurt-somebody has had it worse. To be offended at anyone is also unpardonable in light of all that God has given me. I really appreciated the article in the Messenger by Tyson Zeiset it underscores what I am trying to express today. May I be forgiven for my failings and receive grace and courage to crucify self and keep trudging up the hill helping others all along the way.

3 comments:

  1. AMEN!
    interesting you should bring in that article by tyson z, i've been wondering about the usury issue for a couple of months. it seems to me that through the world's interest system, 50-75% of us sign away what could be our most energetic years for the Lord to pay off mortgages and business loans. I would like to hear more on this issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the thought of keeping enough out of debt that if the Lord would call you to service, you could go. Guess it depends on what our goals are. Of course every situation is different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just want to drop an personal experience regarding debt and mission. Before I was married I spent some time doing CDR in Nicaragua. When I left, the Spirit told me that I would come back sometime. After I got married, I really wanted to buy some ground. As I was looking around, it became clear that I would have to make a decision between material gain or the mission. By the grace of God we made the decision to go to the mission. I really think that debt load is the reason we have a lack of couples to send.

    ReplyDelete