Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The People Under the Overpass

In these hard times one notices more homeless on the streets or so it seems to me. I have been involved in a few mission programs as a volunteer in New York City and latter in Church ministries in LA. When I lived close to Merced, CA you would also see homeless everyday to and from work pan handling. These activities have not failed to open my eyes to being down and out. Your impressed also with the colorful character that is also represented in these people. As we would sing,give testimony, and preach I would wonder what is the appropiate inspiration to share. All things said I do take for granted the blessings of which I am steward over. The Lord loves all men he is no respector of persons. Even though our lives seem at times to be worlds apart we are equal in the sight of God. If so how can I more effectively reach out to the homeless.
Now that I have moved to Alabama I do not have much contact with inner city homelessness. Even so I have picked up a good book on the subject while visiting California this week. It is helping me stay connected. It is called Under the Overpass by Mike Yankoski. I am not done, but have already benefited from the authors material. It is about two youths going homeless for five months in various cities across the United States. You can find the book at Barnes and Nobles in the Christian Inspiration section. I have heard good feedback from different ones and finally took the plunge and started reading it myself.
He says out of twenty-seven chapel services he attended about twenty focused on hell, condemnation, sin and eternal suffering. He suggests that for such a "physical needy group" they need a little more upbeat message, since they are surrounded already by misery and hopelessness. He doesn't say these are not relevant parts of the gospel message, but suggests these people are attracted by messages of love and deliverance. Peace of Mind in a Troubled World might still be the best tract to handout in the city. If you have read this book or have thoughts on the ministry to the homeless give your thoughts and comments.

1 comment:

  1. NOTE: As I read farther- there needs to be discernment like any other modern day Christian reading. However the insights are very interesting and informing.

    ReplyDelete