Tuesday, June 8, 2010

More Weeping Between the Porch and the Altar

Let the priest weep between the altar and the door posts. I walked round the front of the podium one day, in a distinguished, wonderful college, fourteen hundred students listening. I just walked round and said to the professors, “Gentlemen you are teaching young men to be preachers. In one sense, they are going to guide the church in the future days. Tell me this, do you have for them a course on weeping? And if they graduate, do you have a course on howling?”

An old professor came and sat at the back in one of my meetings. He believed in old blood and fire, hell-fire preaching and holy living and a church being something which God deposited in the world just to show people how He can redeem us and get a bride for Himself. And you know, all the other professors in that university say, “That old man is senile.”

I like an old statement that was made I think by Montgomery, “All earthly things with earth will fade away, but prayer grasps eternity.” And if we’re going to see as God sees… Praying, just recently, the Lord seemed to say this to me, “If you claim to be filled with the Holy Spirit the things that grieve the Spirit will grieve you.” Who does the Lord cast His burdens on? Does He roll them away into the oblivion? No, no, no. He says, “My yoke is easy, My burden is light.”

We don’t want people to think we’re depressed. I mean, everything is depressing outside, why cover it over? We are heading for judgment faster than you could ever think unless there is a divine intervention. And the key, again, is the priests weeping. The priests howling.

We sure need

a heaven born,

earth shaking,

hell-terrifying revival.

And it only comes through brokeness, it comes through honesty.

Leonard Ravenhill

Weeping Between the Porch and the Altar

1 comment:

  1. I was up late praying, and this verse came to mind about the Preists weeping between the alter and the porch and in looking it up I ran across your blog - just wanted to let you know I appreciated reading it. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete