Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Read John Bunyan Week


I am telling you that this week is a good time to dust off that Pilgrim's Progress and compare notes. At least that is what I have been doing for my personal devotions. I have the old English version that has scripture references and it is really amazing how doctrinal sound it is as an allegory.  Nearly every year I end up reading Pilgrim's Progress, Holy War (War of ManSoul) or Abounding Grace. He defiantly did his homework, but then I have to remember he was in jail serving out a twelve year sentence when he wrote some of his works. I thought I would just pen down a few points today of what impressed me. Maybe by doing that it will help it stick with me better.


If you happen to read Pilgrim's Progress, note the urgency of fleeing the wrath to come, the earnestness of the Evangelist and the workings of how the Law helps us define sin and give us the grounds to recognize that we really need a Savior. I was reading last night about Mr. Worldly Man trying to persuade Christian to get his burden removed by Mr. Legality and his son Civility. Christian lost his way and ended up treading the cliffs of Mt. Sinai (the Law). I was impressed by Christian's trembling and his fear of God before the exhortations of Evangelist. Do we have that respect that the Law still stands to condemn our flesh and helps us to recognize our sinfulness and need for a Savior? 


Even the earnestness and concern of people under conviction in the book of Acts has been ringing in my head:



Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made the same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.

 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. Acts 2:36-38


No comments:

Post a Comment