Friday, July 13, 2012

Two Ears of Corn

 
Whoever makes two ears of corn, or two blades of grass to grow where only one grew before, deserves better of mankind, and does more essential service to his country than the whole race of politicians put together --Jonathon Swift


I am so excited today! I received my Roland Bunch book, Two Ears of Corn, A Guide to People Centered Agriculture Improvement. Last week I crunched in 440 pages of "Up from History, The Life of Booker T. Washington" to get solid background on the Tuskegee model. Today I started on The Life of George Washington Carver, the "Peanut Man" that worked at Tuskegee. I recommend anyone interested on what we have been talking about here on OP-Noah to read up on these two men. God Centered Science and helping the man down back up through teaching honesty and hard work ethics. Inspirational to say the least. 


However Two Ears is written by Dr. Bunch who has done alot of work in Honduras. He has spent decades working with agriculture projects in Third World countries. This book should be on the shelves of CSI directors. It talks and discusses methods of implementing workable projects that will work long term in poor villages. I will definitively report on it when I am finished with it. It is a 1982 book still used by Peace Corp, Universities, and NGOs. However it looks pretty humble with hand drawn illustrations. I had to pay a price for my dog-eared copy.  Just reading the headings and illustrations and the material----I am like where has this book been? 
The Barefoot Architect by Johan van Lengen is also an awesome book. It is written by a Dutch architect in Brazil. Nearly 700 pages of illustrations and simple to follow explanations of the why's and hows of building communities and housing in Third World countries. How to build Adobe to bamboo houses. Thatch roofs. Cisterns. Water Treatment. Solar Heating. Basic design to a lot of things related to sustainable living. How to build to utilize using your natural enviroment. Good news is is that it is also written by a man that has done it with his own hands and you can follow his blog on TIBA in Brazil. Anyways call me overblown, but I like these books and think they would be good material for CSI oriented individuals to consider on their bookshelves. A few dirt stains on the pages is okay in this case. 
Okay I got to get back to a wife and two boys, a Bible and alot of off time reading. I am still working on the Haiti book. I want to sit down an illustrate tonight with my boys. Today at work we slugged away on finishing half a mile of fence-seven braces (equipment faliure leaves about 400ft unfinished), drove poles for a retaining wall, and a couple of the guys finished another half a mile of stapling up fence along a creek----so yes we are busy and hands on...........


The price of this book has sky-rocketed since I even have purchased it.



No comments:

Post a Comment