Sunday, February 5, 2012

Hymns and Praise Choruses



I received this little article on Hymns and Choruses. I am not definite on its origins. If some one is able to produce the source of this writing I will post it. I will let you draw your own conclusions.It is probably more from a Mennonite viewpoint.


I personally feel that today we have too many 7/11 songs -- 7 words repeated 11 times***.


An old farmer went to the city one weekend and attended the big city church. He came home and his wife asked him how it was.
"Well," said the farmer, "It was good. They did something different however. They sang praise choruses instead of hymns."
"Praise choruses?" asked his wife, "What are those?"
"Oh they're okay, I guess. They are sort of like hymns, only different," said thefarmer.
"Well, what is the difference?" asked his wife.
The farmer said, "Well, its like this:


If I were to say to you, 'Martha, the cows are in the corn', well that would be a hymn.
If on the other hand, I were to say to you, Martha, Martha, Martha, Oh Martha, MARTHA,MARTHA, the cows, the big cows, the brown cows, the black cows, the white cows, the black and white cows, the COWS, COWS, COWS, are in the corn, are in the corn, are in the corn, are in the CORN, CORN, CORN, and then if I were to repeat the whole thing two or three times, well, THAT would be a praise chorus!"


***-I changed the numbers

No comments:

Post a Comment