Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Affluent Stewardship in Recession?




For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. 1 John 2:16 KJV


For everything in the world--the cravings of sinful man, the lust of his eyes and the boasting of what he has and does--comes not from the Father but from the world. NIV


For everything that is in the world-the desire for fleshly gratification, the desire for possessions, and worldly arrogance-is not from the Father but is from the world. ISV


For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. Luke 12: 33


(Beware that this article is not about making overt generalizations or any sort of assault, but is based as a strong concern for the wealth fare of the modern Christian----This article is also not directed to the rich [which is relative] but rather the rank and file) 
I don't know how to bring this, but I have been lately impressed with the growing affluence among our brethren even in these so called times of recession. It would be one thing if it was modest quiet "accumulation" , but rather it seems that more new pick-ups, farm equipment, and big rolling investments (sorry i know they are just tax deductions) are being made that subtly divide the brotherhood. I personally get caught in a attitude(?) of watching values taught only a short while ago go up in smoke. 
It is now all about "following the Spirit" and what he has for you personally. I look at homes that are typical , yet seem to betray that the kingdom is now more centered on this world and heaven is more of a last resort safety net. The worse casualty is our community prayer life and lack of dependency on God in all things. In the my youth I was constantly warned about the danger of affluence, now it is observed and nodded more privately and is often muted. For instance I find myself rationalizing about getting a new vehicle maybe even a SUV and put it on payments and shrug off the cost as necessary. Let the reader not think once that I am pointing at others, but rather am dealing with my own heart as I see covetousness creep in. The Bible says the heart is deceitful above all things. Also it says their is no man righteous of himself, ------so help me God.


Which brings us back to our zeal vs. modern affluence. Face it just
having A/C, electricity, and vehicles we surpass comfort levels of the
ancient kings and emperors of Bible times.

On this topic I have been impressed with about Five points

1. Money brings new light--it just really happens! Watch hardliners
mellow out and talk about "God blesses good stewardship"

2.Increased Peer Pressure. The Respect of fellow individuals becomes
more important than God's opinion. It is very hard to approach a
successful man of affluence because he is "such a good steward" I
noticed personally that when you finally approach them they are very
thankful for your honesty, because other than staff they see mainly
the sugar coated treatment from fellow brethren, etc. Correct me if I
am wrong.

3. Time for More Toys. What is wrong with enjoying "the fruits of good
stewardship?" God doesn't want us to have fun?

4. I had company from the city come down and she kept exclaiming over
our yards as coming strait from "the Better Homes and Garden pg. 72"
she said. It looked so big to them to be able to cook and keep yard.
What about when our people surpass their neighbors by a long ways
 with

living standards. Most of our neighbors are just not good stewards.
They are satisfied with to little!

5. My main question in all this is are we not suppose to be wary of
the World as enemy territory. Are we not suppose to favor caution
rather than liberty? I am seeing more my Grandfather's concerns and am
not laughing or smirking anymore when I see my children before me. Not
with fear, here but this life is a battle not a rest stop to eternity.
The cross is not suppose to something strange--( I cringe writing this
because my flesh is starting to smart at the suggestion)



What Does this mean?


Sell that ye have, and give alms; provide yourselves bags which wax not old, a treasure in the heavens that faileth not, where no thief approacheth, neither moth corrupteth. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. Luke 12: 33-34


What went wrong with this Stewardship?


Was this not a retirement plan? Would he not have been an ideal of the "American Dream"? A question asked to see how this relates with the dangers today.


And he spake a parable unto them, saying, The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully: And he thought within himself, saying, What shall I do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits? And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods. And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry. But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided?So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God. Luke 12:19-21


Feel Free to Leave Comments--I am only here to voice concern and willing to be called a crank if the needs be. Is prosperity merely relative? Even though I am poor to some NA standards am I not still rich when considering the World at large?



Am I a soldier of the cross, a follower of the Lamb?
And shall I fear to own His cause, or blush to speak His name?
Must I be carried to the skies on flowry beds of ease,
While others fought to win the prize and sailed thro bloody seas?
Are there no foes for me to face? Must I not stem the flood?
Is this vile world a friend to grace to help me on to God?
Sure I must fight if I would win! Increase my courage Lord.
I'll bear the cross, endure the pain, supported by Thy Word.
Isaac Watts

No comments:

Post a Comment