Monday, February 22, 2010

Another View or Views on Revival

Somebody sent me this writing to post:

I often get asked these questions: What is the key to revival? What is the secret that enabled you to plant thousands of churches in just a few years in one of the poorest nations on earth?
My answer is simple. My answer is always the same. First we are called to love God powerfully, deeply and intensely. And second, we are called to love our neighbors in the same way. The plan never changes. The strategy remains the same. This kind of fruitfulness can flow only from a place of radical intimacy.
I believe that revival does have a face. It does look like something. It looks like love. It looks like stopping daily for the one in front of you and looking into his or her eyes. You have to see the one. If you cannot see the one, you will not be able to deal with the multitudes. If you see the one, you will understand suffering, because you will see one dying child under a bridge. You will see one baby with AIDS. You will see one widow living alone under a tree. Revival is about looking into his or her eyes and seeing Jesus look back at you.
Michele Perry has captured this message of revival in her life and in her book. It is the message of love. The message of His heart.
For many years I have seen visions of a radical arm of laid-down lovers – a whole generation of those who are so full of passion and intimacy that they run into the darkness without fear to bring in the lost bride. Michele is a forerunner of this new breed of lovers, those who live only to pursue a passionate love affair with Jesus. They are so full of the Presence that no matter what they are asked to do, they say yes. There is no “no” left in them.
I pray that as you read this book, your heart will be enlarged and you will become so immersed in Jesus that your eyes are opened to see Him in the lost and broken. I pray that you will be stripped of the complications and concerns that cause you not to see clearly, so that you will no longer be able to pass by without stopping for the one in front of you. I pray that as you yield to His immeasurable, ceaseless, bottomless love, you will soar on the wings of the Holy Spirit over your nation.”
Heidi Baker, (of a nondenominational Christian mission to orphaned and abandoned children)



Now here is the correspondance about this article:


OP_NOAH:


Sounds intense. Have you read the book? Sounds interesting. To be right honest with you I like and agree that there are good thoughts expressed, but (I hate to use the word "but") I would like to read the book to see if the walk is the talk. Good words come so cheap nowadays. Love, repentance/grace, and cross is more the full picture revival recipe that I get from the Bible. Thanks for the post, sorry I am not trying to be negative, but I try to be a straight shooter that doesn't beat around the bush.

Sender:

She is charismatic, beyond our American Mennonite 2 arms length ways. In her setting, I’m not sure what you or I would do or how take care of the ‘millions’ on her streets. She walks the walk from what her book says. Includes being born again and repentance and healing as she has nothing else to offer them like we do with endless meds and councilors and church home structure. You can double check the book “Love Has A Face” if you want to include anything on your blog. Shari and I pick out the inspiring contents of books like this and try to grow in this vision. The Bible of course is the core of all our lifesong.

OP-NOAH:

I agree with you that we could use a little less structure and more spontaneity. However a women like that is more free to do her work because she doesn't have to answer to a brotherhood like we have to. Good or bad, alot of our mission work is to uphold our brethren's hand. To honestly prefer your brethren'above yourself when you actually rub shoulders with one another also does honor to God. Personally I would be none the happier to go to the mission or immerse myself in humanitarian work in Haiti. I could kiss all this wishy-washy and money squabble goodbye in a heart beat. Humanitarian work is therapy in action it gets in your veins. However God basically says not for you[myself]- at least for now. It made me stop and think- what does God more honor- being out there, doing my thing or taking care of my family and also enduring something I don't like as much, because God wants me to. We all want to be crusaders, but sometimes we have to pray for those that are and be content to do those things for God that don't get in the books. In the end we are all missionaries and emissaries for Christ, each performing his task for the Master. Hey peace-out! Thanks again. (I am definitely not trying to discourage any one from humanitarian work or limiting your "world view"! Just be sure to start at home. I say praise God for those that get to go and make sure I am faithful in even the little things I am called to do. We all have a part in the Revival!)

QUESTION: WHAT IS A REAL REVIVAL TO YOU?

1 comment:

  1. A real revival brings us closer to God, which also increases our love for the Church and unites us as a brotherhood, causing the (collective and individual) light to shine as our love radiates to those around us, and moving us to action where the Holy Spirit impresses us with a need.

    ReplyDelete