Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Jacmel Earthquake Survivor: Christian What Do You Suggest?



I was in Haiti a month ago doing interviews for testimonies for the "Haiti Book" of our Church's involvement in Haiti. Here is a story as told from a woman that is attending Church in Oriani for a year. Her story touched me as we listened. A beautiful young lady with two children trapped in a evil cycle that makes her grow discouraged. To those that know there are millions like her. 

However with God all things are possible. Also the prayer of the righteous avails much. 

As I was working the other day it seemed the Spirit told me to post this story here so that people can pray for her. Also there may be people that go their way without knowing that  there is a cry outside your door----- seeking for what you take for granted. If we knew the power of prayer....... I could say more, but it is more important to hear what she has to say. She is like your sister out there, please think and pray. Thanks.

(Her mother is dead, her mother was superstitious and caused much grief to keep her other sister from going to Church. This girl lives in a dilapadated house virtually without much support other than her married sister in our church..):

I am 25 years old. My story is that I am a sinful woman. I have been very wicked and bad. I have two children on my hands to show what my sins are. I was a person that loved to sin. In my heart I loved the carnality of the world. My heart is now heavy with all that and I long for the day that God can wash my heart clean. I have been coming to church most of the time since last year. This last year I have not gone back to my sins in the world. I have been able to do this but I still do not believe my heart is free. The thing that I need from God is his Spirit and I do not know if he has done that for me.
I am poor and men come to me to offer food for favors. I do not want to go back to this. I need two things. These things are holding me back. I need a man to live with and provide for me. I hate this system we have of men offering me food to help me with my children to use me. I have nothing.  The second thing is that I need a better place to live. My mother is dead so there is no one to help me with my children. Some people probably told you I am not a person worth helping because I am not from here, and I will soon be gone. No, I am not that kind of person. I found the church. I want to stay. This is my home now. I am just in a struggle to know how to live.
I was in Jacmel during the earthquake and survived while a lot of my friends had died.  Jesus gave me grace not to die.  I was at a friend’s house with a man. A lot of his friends died. I loved the sins of the world much, so I was with this man watching a film. There was noise coming from the television. When the earthquake happened we heard and felt something that was not coming from the television. We thought it was a helicopter flying over.  No one died in the house we were in. Jesus saved all of us sinners because he loved us. He gave us a chance. We ran out of the house and then realized it was an earthquake. The whole city was completely covered in dust. Even though we could not see very far we could see houses were flat on the ground.  We went to the airport. We ran to this big field where there was no house to fall on us. We ran to the airstrip and there were a lot of people crowded in there. At midnight we were still there. The ground shook again the second time. We were terrible scared, but a bunch of blancs came there and brought food and drinks. They started giving us money to get taxis rides back to town. Someone gave me enough money to catch a ride all the way back to Oriani. I never went back since. That’s my story of the earthquake. It was chaos. Dead people were everywhere. There was a dead person and there was a dead person……..

No comments:

Post a Comment