Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Seed, Death, and Resurrection: A Morning Study of Revival

As I woke up this morning, I was struck with the thought of
Revival. Before we went to bed, we prayed for our congregation's
revival. We also prayed for a community revival. It impressed me more
deeply this week, because of Sunday School. I brought out the thought
that we really need to pray for a community revival. There is so much
poor people around us with needs, that the revival is at our finger
tips and yet we are not ready to harvest it. People that had lived in
the area for years laughed at me for thinking my prayers for local
revival would really bear fruit. However it worked in our cul-du-sac
in California, and it worked in Belize. In Belize I recognized that
the indigenous congregations were only families and locally recognized
as such, so with little visitors. The truth is that there is seeking
souls in Belize because the population is young. Asked the Spirit of
God for a seeker to come to Church. One Sunday a youth came to Church.
He said he didn't really know why he came he just wanted to come to
Church. I knew why he came. We had him for dinner. He immediately
wanted to discuss what doctyrine we lived by and borrowed a book on
the subject. So now the challenge is before us--- are we ready for a
area Revival. What does a revival take. It takes a spark. What is that
spark. It is the spark of the power of Resurrection.
This is the verse that came this morning. I like to mix these two
versions to help my feeble mind to digest.
John 12:24 (King James Version)
Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the
ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth
much fruit.
John 12:24 (New International Version)
I tell you the truth, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and
dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many
seeds.
The act of Revival and Resurrection takes place after death. Think of
the most powerful moments of Revivals in your life. The death of your
self. The giving of your self to your wife. A funeral of some one
close to you. Someone elses conversion from death unto life. The list
goes on. The power of Jesus was not just in His ministry. His own
disiples left Him when he needed him most. It took His death then
ressurrection to overcome sin and set us free.
Here are some quick thoughts on these two "R's"
1. In revival there needs to be Evangelism. The unexpected spiritual
death and resurrection of our neighbors shows us the power of God. It
seems we expect one another and our children to find there way. To see
the power of God in the unplanned blows away our defences and stops us
in our tracks: Behold the Power of God.
2. If some of our Missionaries were even martyred our Mission program
would actually grow. It is a paradox, and we do not wish it, but I
think it is true. If I would go to the mission, I would have to
prepare myself to die for those people to really be heart effective.
Look at the Martyrs. Even look at some of the Beachy Amish programs
like CAM. I admire them because they suffer with the people. We even
use their books to inspire us-why? Spiritual death and then the
willingness to die physically for Christ is a power that cannot be
stopped.
3. Our society insulates itself from death and the unpleasentries of
life, hampering the cross, and the power of resurection.
4. From the Apostles on, it was the hands on approach that revived
them from time to time. It wasn't a quality of the flesh it was the
manifestation of the power of resurection and spirit in their life
that shook the world. The renewing no doubt came from the testimony of
those they ministered to. Phillip had just as much of a revival as the
Ethiopian. Don't you think? When Paul seen non-Jews pull away from
Paganism and embrace Christ-----He couldn't help but leap for joy and
press on counting it a glory to even witness to the emperor, perchance
even his soul could be saved. The ministry of Stephen renewed the
Church in His death even to this day. His face shone as an Angel. How
many High Priests later on gave their hearts to the Lord or were
plagued to depression from the power of that moment.
Here is just a few more verses:
1 Corinthians 15:36 (King James Version)
Thou fool, that which thou sowest is not quickened, except it die:
1 Corinthians 15:36 (New International Version)
How foolish! What you sow does not come to life unless it
dies.Galatians 2:20 (King James Version)
Gal.3:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not
I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh
I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself
for me.
I was also impressed with the mustard seed. Thinking how small it
started. It grew to have many branches that sheltered the birds of the
air. The security of the death and resurrection revival is that it
cannot be imitated. Everyone that has lived in Winton long enough
surely hears of the revival in the 50's where a number of prodigal
couples from near and hours away suddenly showed up one revivals and
filled the back benches. We need that spontaneous outpouring and the
only way we can experience that is to let self wither and then die.
Only the Lord can light the spark. Let us Pray to that end.
I don't know why I write this. I just type as it comes. It seems the
greatest moments of revival come when I hear of and see the power of
God manifest in the flesh. You had the faith that it was real-- then
you actually see it! It is then easier to believe that Christ/God
really came down in the flesh--even to this day--now in the form of
the Spirit in the believer. So why would we hinder that power which is
not of ourselves to shine forth out of us and save
others..................

No comments:

Post a Comment