Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom



People, I got to tell you I just read this book and it really impressed me. We went to Canada for Christmas and I borrowed this book for outload reading on the way home. It was good. I was a little wary that it was another holocaust book which leaves me too exhausted emotionally by the time I finish. This one rather challenged me that God is waiting for us to quite running on our own steam and rather trust him to direct our lives, through thick and thin. As a Christian I feel I have hardly lived----so many times I have not trusted God enough....
  This book tells of a dutch family that lived there lives for others in a watch shop in Harlaam. By the time WW2 came they just opened their doors a little further to include exiled Jews. They took the people others were too scared to help. Ones that coughed or looked too Jewish. It was hardly a secret to anybody in town what they were doing, but since they had helped everyone in need for so long nobody reported them. In fact they were amazed how involved they had become.
Eventually someone betrayed them and the two spinister sisters and their elderly father were hauled into prison for helping Jews and taking part in the Dutch Resistance. A man had asked for help and though they suspected him they could not say no lest he really needed help. The two ladies were sent to jail, labor camps and finally a concentration camp in Germany. Death stared them in the face everyday. They thanked God that could still use them in the darkest times to tell others about God. In the end the book brings you to the ultimate tests of love, devotion, and the key---forgivness. For God to forgive you must forgive others----even those that betray you or use you. What a test! And know it is only God's grace that will help you through.

I could not help myself but read a "Tramp for the Lord" the sequel. I have a Kindle that read this to me commuting to work. Do yourself a favor and read some books about testimonies of others and challenge yourself whether you are really open to see that God has a way through your "tough times".

No comments:

Post a Comment