Friday, March 2, 2012

Is Islam a Peaceable Religion?


        I have been reading a very readable book on Islam. It is called The Unfinished Battle Islam and the Jews. It is written by Mark A. Gabriel. He was a ardent believer of Islam from Egypt. He had memorized the Quran by the age of twelve and later graduated from Al-Azhar University with a doctorate in Islamic history and culture.
        He makes it as clear that you are mistaken if you believe Islam is a tolerant religion as promoted by Western media sources. He explains how some quote the Quran and make it sound like it is tolerent and peaceful, while the next person is saying the Quran promotes Jihad --Holy War against the "Unbelievers". 
    The reason for the conflicting views goes back to Mohammed. Mohammed started having his revelations in Mecca that started more on a peaceful note. He was trying to win people over on a voluntary basis. For one, they were a persecuted minority. Most of those that  want to paint the Quran in a favorable light to Western opinions quote this part of the Quran.  When he moved to the other Saudi city of Medina, he gained more influence and power and became more aggressive and started putting pressure on nonbelievers. Out of these texts is those passages more favorable to extreme anti-Western influences.
        The more recent verses supercede the older verses when verses contradict, so by default if you truly are a follower of Mohhamed you would follow his more recent teachings. That does not say you cannot revert to his peaceable vision when you are part of a minority in a nonmuslim country. Peace with Jews as a whole is about unthinkable. Since U.S. supports Israel it is also on the bad list. The reason is that Muslims follow the Torah of the Old Testament and believe that the Jews failed the test and killed the prophets. The Jews and Christians failed in their worship to God. In this they believe Mohammed's message is the final ultimate remedy. It is a religion of works and even then you are unsure how you are going to fare in the afterlife.
        I do not have any bitter feelings against any Muslim on earth. I respect their frustrations.  I just wish there was a way of exposure for Muslims to really understand that True Christianity does not foster hare or ill-will. I wish they could find the insurance of eternal life based on faith not works. There is a way to find peace---a inner peace that can wipe away the need for hate or ill-feelings toward others. 


Jesus:
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. Matt. 11:28-30

2 comments:

  1. I have read with interest your message regarding the Muslim Religion. I would like to inform you that making a statement as strong as you do here taking the one book you have read as true and using it solely for the basis for your opinion is in truth making it obvious likely you are uninformed. It appears from your writing that your thoughts are tainted with the American way of thinking and that is very closed to other cultures. I am disappointed in this as I do have reason to believe from looking on this site that you must come from a conservative group and possibly the same one that I do. No I am not an American (I am Canadian)and not a radical Muslim as you may suspect. I am disappointed that this view is popular even in the church. If you believe that Muslim Religion promotes violence then you must believe that Hitler is part of the true church of God. Hitler is considered a Christian in Muslim circles. There are radical Muslims in the world who say that the Koran does promote violence there are Radical Christians that actually burn them because of what they claim are said in them. You make a comment that you don't have bitter feelings to those of the Islam faith but rather respect thier frustration. Most of the Muslims I have talked with are not frustrated (I have been to Islam Countries)but rather I have observed that it is the people who call themselves Christians that are fearful that this faith may someday rule the world. I feel as true Christians it is our responsibility not to judge races or religions but rather to be a light to them realizing that it is only by the grace of God that we are saved and not that we are born into it. I trust that your views as you have expressed them here are from an uninformed standpoint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first exposure to this topic was when I lived with a Muslim turned Christian in NYC. Definitely a way to be bias--- to be sure. I invite any reader to study the teachings of Christ and see whether any Christian or Westerner that promotes violence or immorality is truly a follower of Christ. As for Mohammed's life, one would have trouble to find it as a life promoting peace in the same sense. This site only wants to promote a love and outreach to the Muslims as people and wish on them no bodily harm. That said I desire that they could face eternity with more than a life based only on works.

    ReplyDelete