Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Some Mission Program "Opinions"

Disclaimer: (((((Just Personal Opinions))))

I have enjoyed keeping up with the progress of the various humanitarian programs going on. I also realize that there is a valid concern as a church for the future direction of these endeavors. We need to be subject to one another as brethren and held accountable. Whatever happens I have confidence in the direction given in the future.  In the same token I am glad they happened and I am glad they shake the bush as it were. That way it does two things, it gets more people interested and involved than before and it makes the other programs step up their "game". When I say "game", I am talking about how impersonal some of the programs have become. That is unless you have family, friends in the mission field, or are on the board. You may hear the odd reports, but alot depends on your congregation's involvement.  After that you receive a few letters asking for money, a newsletter and maybe a calender with some trivia and facts on it. Then if you are more interested you study the Yearbook and read the financial report booklet. There is a few meetings that the congregations may host ever so often for the board meetings.
Then it is suddenly that a few larger private projects can get completed because they capture the lethargic imagination and inspire the heart  for a special need. It is not long when volunteers, finances, and motivation materialize. The budget is micro managed so the project gets completed it is run with the carefulness of a business venture, promoting confidence. (sounds good anyway). OK, we are not trying to insinuate that the mission program is not doing these things but here is a view that our present system gives that leaves one a little indifferent view. I don't think this is the place for it. I personally have confidence in the Churches projects---It just would be nice if they could bring more of an awareness to what is going on. Here are some suggestions:
1. Have traveling speakers give motivational talks on projects and special needs that can be funded on congregational levels
2. Spruce up the Missionary Voice to include articles more on ongoing projects and needs along with the letters. Also trivia for children or young adults to test their geographical knowledge or something to help generate their interest. Pick a country or culture and have info, history, or something to help people form a picture in their mind about these places. It would pay off to keep people informed. Too many times one just scans the headings and names to determine the interest level.
3.Cut costs and frustrations by hiring missionaries out of the native members. A vast subject in itself. But my only point being that if born again believers are coming to the fold they need to carry a burden for their own. We are not the ones with all the answers. I know this is part of our mission psych , but for myself --if I can not live on a close level to what the natives live--help me God and send me one of their own to bridge the gap and go the places we cannot . Love bridges cultures and every case is different, but in truth it takes alot to know what makes ones in another culture tick.
 Just a few thoughts and opinions. I have had a very cosmopolitan and varied upbringing. I have mainly lived in Canada and United States. I have direct links to three or four different cultures within my background. I have lived in poverty, the bush and the city. My whole life has revolved around bridging gaps and a yearning that Christ could be the common ground for my family. As time progressed I realized my "family" includes the church and my "neighbors" means all man. The circle continues to increase.So what is my responsibility and to what extent should I not do good to those that it is in my power to do good? Far more importantly how can I   share the Gospel with others. It is not said always by our lips but more often by our love and by our actions.

In a multitude of counselors there is wisdom and direction and so what more to say. These are just a few passing thoughts and even at that I don't feel like really have much to say on the matter...................

No comments:

Post a Comment